Sunday, October 9, 2011

Supplies

I was watching the Food Network yesterday (suprise, suprise!) and I was watching The Opener. Pretty good show. But I was extra interested as they were showcasing a Vancouver restaurant called The Helm. Basically 4 friends, all under the age of 25 pooled their money together to start a restaurant. But none of them have ever run a business before. YIKES!

Got a chance to see the chaos in ordering bar supplies, furniture, food, etc. I don't think I'd ever have the heart to start a restaurant. The thought of cost over runs and not understanding costs and mark ups would give me heartburn and I'm sure a heart attack.

I will have to say that even though they got their act in gear at the end, the dumbest choice they made was to let go of their chef. She was awesome and she totally understood the farm to table concept which was the concept of the whole business.

I've checked out their website and it's totally sad to see that whole concept now gone. Such a shame....

No comments: