Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bamboccione

A bamboccione is basically an older male that lives at home with his mom. And why am I yapping about this? Well, I was listening to the radio this afternoon and one of the DJs mentioned this word. She mentioned this because she read an article about a 41 year old guy in Italy that is basically getting kicked out by his own parents. And if he doesn't leave, they're going to a lawyer and escalating this matter. OMG. A lawyer?!

She then asked Vancouver who they knew was a bamboccione and how old these males were that were still staying at home. I didn't think there would be too many calls.

It started off with callers saying their brother is 36 and still at home because he's lazy. Then it was a friend who called in about their 44 year old best friend. She couldn't understand why she was dating him because if they ever get married, the guy will expect her to be the same as mom. I thought those stories were pretty good.

Then I heard stories of even older guys staying at home and basically mom was doing laundry, cooking for them, making lunches for them, waking them up for work, etc. Really?!! Why?! Moms already did their job raising these children to adulthood.

One of my goals as a mom is to make my kids independent and for them to leave home at some point. I know that when they leave home, I will be crushed. But as my dad says, you need to teach your kids to fly. And yes, they will learn to fly as much as I want to shelter them.

So to all those bambocciones out there, time to give mom a break.

No comments: