Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Poster

I was on Facebook and checking out people's feeds.   Usually, it's a quick read and gives me a good idea of what people are up to.   My one friend put an image of a poster and I thought it was cute looking...decided to take a closer look.



Basically, it's about treating introverts with respect.  Ok, I totally get it.  Some folks have a harder time coming out of their shell, they have different ways of learning and interacting...all which are totally ok in my books!  I can be tolerant, patient and appreciate other's way of doing things. 

But my reaction wasn't totally a good one and part of me was surprised by my reaction.  Why can't a poster just say some other things such as:

* Treat others like you would want to be treated
* Understand that everyone learns differently and be open to that
* Everybody deserves respect

And why isn't there a poster for extroverts then?!!  Or how about quirky folks?!  What got me really annoyed was that this poster asks that everybody respect introverts and their way of doing things, but this poster doesn't take into account of respecting others that are not like them.  It's too much of an "us" versus "them" mentality.  I don't like it.  

So, to my introverted friends, I love you all.  And I treat you the way you want to be treated.  But what I love about all of you is that you treat me the way I want to be treated.  We both understand each other's way of doing things.  That's why our relationship works.  No need for a poster to tell me how to treat you.  

No comments: