Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Accidents

The last 2 days, I have been in traffic hell. Honestly...to and from work...over 2.5 hours.  No thanks to some accidents on the road.  Today, I was on Highway 99 and it was a total parking lot.  We were not moving at all. 


When listening to the traffic report, I heard that a car had flipped over in the counterflow lane. Yowsers.  Did I feel bad for the person?  Absolutely.  But basically everytime there is an accident there, it's because someone was weaving in and out or speeding because they wanted to get somewhere.


Newsflash buddy.  I want to get home too.  I feel bad that you're hurt.  But I feel even worse that your family has to deal with you and helping you.  Imagine how they feel?  I don't feel bad for you because of your selfishness and wanting to get somewhere when you could have easily just slowed down a couple of kilometres per hour, thousands suffered the consequences.  Seriously.  Everybody on the road had to be somewhere...but we were all screwed.   


Every time I see a road accident, it's pretty much avoidable.  So why people can't take the extra 2 seconds to drive safely, I don't know.  


As much as I'm complaining here about my time lost, I can look back on today and still be thankful for many things.  I did get home safe and sound.  I got to be with my kids and take them to their activities.  I get to enjoy time doing things that I want to do.  I'm going to be fine.  I'll never "recover" those hours lost on the road...but I'll be fine.  


For that person who decided that everybody else was going to slow...speedy recovery to you and may your loved ones surround you.  And may you remember today that you were hurt and just about lost all opportunities to be with those same loved ones forever more.  



No comments: