Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Today

People's lives can be dramatically changed...as they say, at a moment's notice. Today, I had 2 good friends that lost someone close to them. One friend lost a grandmother. What's more tragic is that she is going through so many other things in her life. This death in the family is just one more thing for her to deal with. I'm amazed at how she's still functioning.

Another friend of mine lost her mother today. Her mother had a sudden onset of Alzheimer's at a very young age and her health decreased very quickly over the last couple of years. And even in the last couple of days of her life, she was holding on. I think holding on so she could just spend a little more time with her family. Her body failed her...but I think she really knew that her family was there.

In both cases, I can only imagine what life is like right now for them. The chaos, sadness, grief and so on.

Everybody has had times where they are so down where they think they've hit rock bottom...only to find that there is further to go. But life goes on...and you have no choice but to crawl out of that dark hole, no matter how dark it is. And though that climb may seem incredibly difficult if not impossible, it's one step at a time. By not doing so, you are forever stuck in that terrible place and you just can't move on.

I hope to be one of those friends that will be there to support my friends in their time of need as they've been there for me.

No comments: