Thursday, October 7, 2010

"O" in the Windy City

Well, enough "deep thought" entries. Those happen from time to time because that's just life.

But I'm going to talk about a happy moment and happy moments in the next week to come. First of all, it's Thanksgiving weekend. Yep. Turkey and stuffing. My in-laws are hosting and all I have to bring is my family, a fruit tray that I'm buying (forget cutting up all that!) and brussel sprouts that I have to wash. Yep. I can handle it. Can't wait for the turkey coma!!!

Secondly, on Thanksgiving Monday while I'm still nursing the turkey coma, I'm heading out of town to the "Windy City". I never thought I'd be heading to Chicago twice in my little lifetime, but it just so happens that I will be going again. And the main reason why I'm heading to Chicago is of course to see Oprah!

I was extremely fortunate to get tickets once in my lifetime. But to get them a second time, I can't waste this opportunity, especially since it's her last season! I already know who the guest is this time which is rare. So don't go on thinking I may get a giveaway show. But it will be Portia De Rossi (Ellen Degeneres' wife). I'm thankful that it's not some show about murder, third world countries and those folks that have been captured, etc. I just want something light and fluffy.

And life is quite funny sometimes. Life just knows when you need a break and this break couldn't have come at a better time for many reasons. The best part is I get to go with a great bud. She's fun to travel with and extremely easy to travel with. She gets that parenthood along with working and what I'm going through can be difficult. There's no judgement. Best of all, she's one of the neatest and most amazing people I know. And it just so happens that life recognizes that she needs a small break too. So we two gals are just exhilarated at this opportunity to go together so that we can support each other and just enjoy all the wonderfulness of Oprah and Chicago. Don't forget, the last time I went, it was -40 degrees Celsius. Ummm...a little cold to be doing some outdoor sightseeting. This time, totally different...I'm going out to explore the city big time!!

I've got a segway tour booked (can't wait to try one of those things). Zoom, zoom! I'm hoping to hit Chinatown to see how good Chicago chinese food is. There's also shopping on the Magnificent mile, check out some museums, trying out their deep dish pizza and enjoying Chicago dogs once again. Just a small list of things I want to do when I'm there. Of course, I'm hitting up the Oprah store too! I've been checking things online and making my lists!!! It's going to cost me.

Oh, it doesn't matter what I do because this trip will be an adventure with a great friend. It will be a life away from my regular life. It will be the energy boost that I need to take me through the next little while. It's an opportunity to acknowledge that life is short and you just have to enjoy what you can when you can because you never know what life has in store for you.

Let the adventure begin!

No comments: