Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mandarin School

I've always wanted my kids to learn a second language. I want them to learn because it really is part of their Asian background and heritage. I also want them to be able to communicate in another language, especially to their grandparents. It's been an interesting transition.

Both girls tried a mandarin school that I originally went to. Though it worked for me, it did not work for the girls. It was evident by not so happy faces when we went to class. So it took a while, but I found a new mandarin school for them. This was the first semester that they would try the class. And if this one didn't work, I was screwed.

Last week was their first class and they had a blast! They learned songs, did arts and crafts, watched videos, played games...in mandarin. They even came home singing songs. And during the week, they talked about how they couldn't wait to go back to mandarin school. Having them like the class is me already winning half the battle.

So, I'm off with happy kids to mandarin school. Joy and bliss.

2 comments:

---> G <--- said...

pffft. joy and bliss. wait until it gets harder, and you won't be able to help them unless you know the words already... or *gasp* learn along with them. hoooo boy.

Peachy said...

You are being so pessimistic. I can always go back to Mandarin school and improve my skills too. =) Oooo. Better yet, let's go together!!!