Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Stuff

I was dreading the start of this week as there were a couple of things I just didn't want to deal with. I had to help proctor a board this week...but one of the exams and interviews was via videoteleconference. Let's just say my last attempt was BRUTAL and it didn't work. I needed this to work this time as the Assistant Deputy General (WHATEVER the title is)was flying out from Ottawa to be part of the interview. Well, thanks to people I've never met, they made it happen and everything went smoothly.

But then there were the other interviews that were being conducted in the office. Dealing with the candidate's anxiety was difficult because I don't want many of them to actually be managers in my office. Yet, as people trying to better themselves, I couldn't help but root for them. And I finally completed all the proctoring today...and I'm tired. It's just draining work that takes a long time.

However, I took a step back and realized again that my worries are small in the grand scheme of things. I know I need to step back more often to not take things for granted. And things happened the last couple of days that made me realize this.

First of all, the inauguration of Barrack Obama. Wow. What a moment! What history. Geez. I was crying my little eyes out when I heard At Last too. It's the first time I truly listened to the words and I thought how perfect for the 44th President of the US of A.

Of course, there are so many things that happen to people at the office that I'm humbled by. We had a new baby born and he's CUTE. Big ass feet. No wonder the mom wanted him out. And there was a baby lost when I finally found out my co-worker and friend had a miscarriage.

A co-worker of mine had a close friend pass away tragically. A co-worker and friend that is feeling the stress of all that is all around her and just needs a little break from it all.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of life at the office. But I realize that's also life. As I step back, I realize how lucky I am that my life is "stable." Perhaps it's a life that someone could look at and say it was boring and mundane. But I'm ok with that. Not having drama in my life is such a blessing as I can just live.

No comments: