Friday, May 25, 2012

Manners

Manners.  If there is anything I will teach my kids, it's manners.  And over the years, I've been at them to say thank you, please, may I.  To ask in tones that reflect that they are entitled to something, to learn how to ask for things by understanding someone's style.  On and on.  

Yes, I forget mine sometimes.  But I'm usually polite.  I don't think much of it because I just think I should be.  I was fortunate today to have someone tell me how nice it is and how it always makes their day. 

I was suprised at the source.  It was the doctor's receptionist.  I've never had a problem with her in person or on the phone.  She always helps me.  She can't always accomodate the dates and times I want, but whatever.  I find another date. 

I walked in today, said my hello while I checked in and the receptionist asked me if I had a minute.  Sure, I'm just waiting for the doctor.  But she took off her head set and got all serious on me.  Yeah...either she was telling she was leaving or she's mad at me something.  It was THAT type of look.

"I've been meaning to tell you this for a long time."

"Ok, are you leaving?"

"No...I'm never leaving.  But I wanted to say, you are by far the most polite person ever that calls here.  The most polite!"

"Really?" 

"Oh, yes.  I have no problems ever taking your calls.  Why are some people so mean on the phone?"  Then she provided some pretty nasty examples.  

Well, I thanked her.  That was really nice of her to take the time out to say that I was polite.  LOL!  

No comments: