Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cuts

My organization is currently going through a downsizing "exercise."   I get it...as an organization, they have to save money.  But I've read about other companies that have gotten through the tough times and not laid off a person.  Laying off a person is "easy," but finding other solutions is not.  

Yesterday, a number of staff received news that they would be affected.   They have some options in front of them.  But I'm not entirely sure they're fantastic ones.  I guess it's better than no options. 

Some folks are taking it really hard, some expected some cuts (though nothing this deep), some are angry as hell and some are just barely hanging on to their sanity.  None of these emotions are wrong.  It's just how people are reacting.  And really, losing one's job is really like having a death.  People need to grieve, sort through the shock and emotions before they can move on.  

However, for those that are "surviving" in the organization such as myself...lot of mixed emotions.  I am fortunate and feel grateful that I'm still here.  However, lots of survivor guilt as I was in a program line that was basically completely cut.  I could have been one of them.  I am so sad for many of these folks as these are not just co-workers but friends that I actually go out with and tell my life story to and vice versa.  

I also think that this is done for now...but round 2 is coming up.  We've already been warned.  And with some of the rumours swirling around...I could easily be part of the cuts in round 2.  Won't try to worry too much about it because if it's me, it's me.  

But if it is going to me next time...can we get George Clooney to fire me?  I mean, in Up in the Air, he was a great person to be fired by.  At least I'd have some eye candy.....

No comments: