Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Actions Not Words

As it's my last day of work for a while, I had a meeting with my boss to finalize all the loose ends.   As well, to have a discussion about the future.  My new boss has been with us for less than 2 months. 

My attitude when I first met her was to just continue to do what I do in terms of work.  Show her what I do and how I do it well.  And also just be me in terms of attitude.  I don't treat her any differently than I treat anybody else in the office.  I'm still me.  Heck, I dressed up for the first day of meeting her...after that, it was all casual wear.  Honestly, I should be embarrassed by what I wear to work.  But there is no dress code!  Woo hoo!

And I'm glad I stuck with that plan.  I'm not a person that has to tell everybody what I do and how great I do it.  Because I really don't do that much well.  And for the things that I do well, I try to let my actions and work show how good I am.  I find that way more effective. 

Perhaps there are people who would say that it's not smart to do it that way because you don't compliments or feel recognized by others.  Maybe.  But I recognize the work that I do and I see the importance of it.  I feel good knowing that I've done a good job.  That is kudos enough.  

But I'm not going to lie when I say it was great to hear compliments from my boss.   She thought my work was great, my interactions within the organization and my professionalism was top notch.  And I was a bit shocked at the potential she saw in me.  

So it was a really great way to end off the day and to start some time off.  Yeah....

No comments: