Sunday, November 1, 2009

Concert

For once, I didn't go to a Christian concert...though another one would be fun. Today, I got to go to a taiko concert. In fact, it was the 30th Anniversary Taiko concert of Katari Taiko (KT) ...the taiko group I used to belong to. Part of the reason why I went was of course to see the group play. The other half was to speak at the concert.

I was asked (and I know the group was getting desperate when they asked me) and I said yes. And as much as I hate public speaking, I owed them at least that. KT was extremely good to me, taught me lots and very supportive of my choices, including when I had to leave to have children.

And sitting in the concert today and watching how the group has continuously grown and bloomed in creative ways really evoked a lot of different emotions in me. Part of me was so proud to have been part of something something wonderful. I felt so drawn to the music as I knew many of the songs and I just wanted to get up and play! It was incredible to see how these folks moved effortlessly. And there was one song called 3+3 that was played, and honestly, it was one of the most incredible taiko pieces I've heard just 2 people play. So many great moments and it went by in a flash.

Some of the other emotions that I felt had to do with loss and coming to terms with choices. As much as I am grateful for my 2 kids and the life that I have, it's also these choices and this lifestyle that prevents me from playing taiko. And it was comforting to know that a previous member that played with me for many years felt the same way. We sat there during intermission like old fogies thinking about the past. So many good memories.

I hope that one day I will go back to taiko. Or maybe, if I start making my own drums...I can start my own taiko group out here. Anybody want to join?

No comments: